Elizabeth Reyes- My visual Sociology Class

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

April 28, 2010

Presentation: Mexican and Pakistani Wedding.

Filed under: Uncategorized — elydurey @ 3:05 pm

This interview has been translated from Spanish to English. (I interviewed my mom Esther Duran).

1.       In a traditional Mexican wedding, how do a man and woman get together?

Well, usually the groom and bride date for a long time to get to know each other, and hopefully fall in love. The groom proposes to the bride, the bride says yes, and later on the groom must go to the bride’s house with his parents to ask for the bride’s hand, meaning to get the parents approval to marry her. His economy, education, and social status are important, but not the most essential matter. Love and being a good husband to the bride is what matters the most.

2.       In a traditional Mexican wedding what does the wedding consist of?

A traditional Mexican wedding consists of getting married by law and by church. First, is signing the papers to legalize their marriage by law. After that is over, the bride and the groom meet at church to get married by God. The groom waits at the front of the altar and the bride comes minutes later walking next to her father. Her father gives her away at the altar. After the church ceremony, everyone goes to the reception where everybody celebrates their union with food, cake and music and everybody dances.

3.       What is the traditional wedding attire?

The groom wears a black suit and a white shirt, a tie, and nice black shoes.  The bride wears a long white beautiful wedding gown in any style she prefers. White high heels, not too much jewelry, and an up-do hairstyle.

Exchanging Rings

My experience at the Pakistani wedding:

Similarities in the wedding was the wedding cake cutting ceremony.

Cake cutting ceremony

One difference I found in the Pakistani wedding was that the girls and guys could not dance together.

Only boys dancing to "bhangra"

One Comments to “Presentation: Mexican and Pakistani Wedding.”
  1. lnaiman says:

Wow! These pictures are great. I think you did a great job capturing different parts of the wedding, and it looks like you had a lot of fun in the process. Just glancing at these pictures makes me want to learn more about the 2 weddings that you attended and I am excited to hear about your study. Great job